Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fun on the farm

This past Saturday, Derek and I took the gang to Dodd's Hillcrest Orchards in Amherst, OH. We've been on a "pick your own" kick since the summer, when we went blueberry picking and peach picking. (By the way, if you are into this, check out pickyourown.org. It's a great website devoted to finding farms to pick stuff, and includes tons of recipes and tips for preserving and canning fruit. I first found the site when I was looking for a good blueberry pie recipe two years ago, and I have never used another recipe since then!)

We headed out Saturday at around 1 or 2. After checking the place out and buying our passes ($4/adult; kids under 3 are free), we hopped on a breezy, bumpy hay ride.

Me and Lolo
 After awhile, though, it started to get windy, a few drops of rain fell, and ... it started pouring! I think I was the only one bothered by this. Lolo thought it was funny, and Reina just slept the entire time.

Derek and Reina
Here's a picture of me and Lolo after the wind picked up a bit:


We took the ride back to the entrance, where we waited in the car for an HOUR, to no avail. We ended up buying some pumpkins, a squash, and two bags of apples from the little market at the front. Here's a (doctored) picture of the storefront through the rainy windshield:



Oh well, better luck next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment