Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hitting the Wall, Part II

Ok, so I feel like I have hit a new kind of "wall" this week. The "I can't friggin run ONE MILE without stopping to walk" wall!!!

I'm not even that big yet. I'm showing, yeah, but really I just feel oaflike and sluggish on the road, not glowing and pregnant. Ugh!

And I don't want to stop running. I won't, not at least for another month or two. But I am seriously having to redefine my expectations of what I can do.

Yoga has been an enormous help. And walking is great too. But DAMMIT, I want to RUN! Forget that, I want to RACE!

There was a local 5k today (the Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase) that I thought I could possibly run...jog? Run/walk? But I didn't. I don't know why. There was even a 5k walk associated with it that I could have done. But I was afraid. Afraid of being disappointed in my time, in myself for not being fit. Which is ridiculous! But still. Eh, I probably should have gone, just so I could have participated in something and felt "the buzz" of race day once again. Haven't felt that since December.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to become "a walker" but I also want to be able to participate in local events. I could possibly lightly train for a 5k if I knew I had to go at least 1-2 min/mile slower than I used to. Well, maybe that would get me out of my non-running funk.

1 comment:

  1. I know. I so know. Putting away the Garmin the first week I found out I was pregnant has been a big help. I don't need to know my pace. The fact that I make it from start to finish is an accomplishment in and of itself.

    Granted, I still hate walking when other cars/runners can see me. It's like I want to wear a shirt that says, "I ran 90%! You just happened to see me walking right now!"

    Bummer about missing the race, but I agree you should try to find one where you can participate. I always had these visions of finishing a race while pregnant and taking a picture of me holding the medal around my stomach. Doesn't look like the timing will work for me, but I would have loved to have shown that to my kid some day. Babies first race.

    Sounds like you're doing great with running and staying active as best you can. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete