Sunday, April 25, 2010

Join the Club

Hey all,

Well, I've gotta get something off my chest that's been bugging me.

I feel like I have left one "club" and have joined another. And I want to be a member of both!

What I'm talking about is "being a runner" vs. "being pregnant." Now, I know I can do both, but I am finding it so incredibly difficult to run these days! Whether it's because of my EXTREME exhaustion, making it impossible to get up an hour earlier for a morning run, or to drag myself out after work for an evening run....or because it is like my body feels like a ton of bricks WHILE I'm running..I just feel so out of it.

And out of the loop! Now that Spring is here, I am aware of all these great races around me, including half-marathons, 10-milers, and a slew of 5ks. In another other year, I would be signing up for them all.  Yesterday I went to (easy) yoga, and then to a diner where about twenty runners with medals were hanging out stuffing their faces because they had just done an awesome race! A race I was sad not to have run.

I know, I know - pregnancy is WONDERFUL. The thought of being a mom is awesome. And I am embracing the changes in my body as well as possible. But I cannot stand not running, and racing, the way I used to.

I realize this is not permanent; that once I feel up to it I will begin to run again the way I like. And it's not like I have completely stopped running now. It's just that I feel so incredibly tired and slow right now. And left out.

I make myself feel better by saying that running will always be there, and that it's not going anywhere. But pregnancy, and motherhood, are opportunities for growth and for giving life a greater meaning, and these things have presented themselves NOW. I am really happy about that! And Derek also knows that once I recover from childbirth, if I am not able to run to relieve stress or get a moment to myself, he will be the one hearing about it. :) So I am sure he will be more than willing to watch the little one while I run laps around the block.

In other news...we find out the sex of the baby tomorrow! I am so excited and nervous. I just want to make sure that everything is ok and that he or she is healthy.

Anyway, happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. If you're not already following XC2, you should totally check out her blog. This chic is running while 6 months pregnant. WITH TWINS.

    http://crosscountrysquared.blogspot.com/2010/04/cradle-your-prenatal-my-photo-how-to.html

    I remember her saying how much easier running in the second trimester is as compared to the first. Maybe the same will hold true for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks to you and Pam for the shoutout. :o) I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Exactly. Running was what I did and who I was. I hate that these perfect spring days are here and I can "only" go for 4 miles. Seems like such a waste of spring!

    I'm like you in that I know I'll be able to run and race again blah blah blah, but it doesn't change how I feel nooooow. The best marathon in the state is in a couple weeks, and it's breaks my heart to miss it.

    My only advice is to run as much as you can as often as you can. Even a short run is more than most people can/will do. My doctor told me that being pregnant is a 9 month workout, and anything you do beyond that is double bonus.

    Very best wishes with the upcoming ultrasound. We couldn't get enough of watching everyone squirm around. :o)

    I've added you to my google reader so I can keep updated and wish you luck along the way.

    And PS- get a good jogging stroller. I just dropped serious cash on a double BOB, and it helped drown my tears about not running now. Retail therapy is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete